Precision Grinding: Abrasive Wheel Safety introduces the learner to key safety measures in the use of the abrasive grinding wheels and machine tools in precision grinding operations.
- Identify hazards which could affect the machine operator when using abrasive grinding wheels for precision grinding processes.
- Recognize safety measures which affect the grinding wheel and setup to avoid potential hazards and wheel bursting.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the purpose of machine safeguards, and their role in operator and wheel safety.
- Determine how various failure modes could be avoided for the safety of the machine operator, grinding wheel, and grinding machine.
Course Length: 2 HRS
Table of Contents
- Safety Responsibilities
Grinding Machine Safe Guards
- Electrical Operation
- Electrical Safeguards
- Emergency Stop
- Machine Guards
- Fixed Guards
- Interlocked Guards
- Safety Shields and Other Guards
- Other Safeguard Devices
- Failure Modes: Machine Safeguards
Machine Operator Safety
- Grinding Wheel Operation Hazards
- Particle Hazards
- Liquid Hazards
- Abrasion/Impact Hazards
- Noise Hazards
- Failure Modes: Operator Health
Grinding Wheel and Setup Safety
- Grinding Wheel Markings
- Storage, Transport, and Inspection
- Wheel Setup
- Flange-Grinding Wheel Ratio
- Wheel Flange Assembly
- Tightening Flange Assembly Screws
- Static Wheel Balancing
- Dynamic Wheel Balancing
- Wheel Dressing
- Failure Modes: Wheel Bursting