Ductile Iron Fundamentals introduces the learner to the properties, processes, and terminology associated with ductile iron production. This course also includes defect analysis of the manufactured product. Presented in THORS’ highly visual and interactive learning format, this course will help foundry employees become familiar with the important equipment processing steps associated with their profession.
- Differentiate between ductile iron and other forms of iron.
- Understand the relationship between the microstructure and properties of ductile iron.
- Recall the ductile iron grades that are used for application-specific purposes.
- Comprehend the treatment methods of ductile iron processing.
- Understand the concepts of nodularity, inoculation, fading, and tensile and hardness testing.
- Understand the various heat treatment processes that might be used for ductile iron.
- Identify common defects that occur during the production of ductile iron castings.
Course Length: 3 HRS
Try out our Ductile Iron Strength Calculator
Table of Contents
Ductile Iron Properties
- Ductile Iron Mechanical Properties
- Microstructure of Iron
- Phases of Iron
- Influences of Ferrite and Pearlite
- Ferrite Phase
- Pearlite Phase
- Ductile Iron Chemistry
- Spheroidizing Elements
- Rare Earth Elements (Cerium and Lanthanum)
- Ductile Iron Grades
- General Applications
- High Temperature Applications
- Low Temperature Impact Applications
- Corrosion Resistance Applications
- Wear Resistance Applications
Ductile Iron Processing
- Treatment (Conversion)
- Treatment Outside of the Mold
- Treatment Inside of the Mold (In-Mold Conversion)
- Inoculation (Post-Inoculation)
Ductile Iron Defect Analysis
- Inverse Chill Carbides
- Grain Boundary Carbides
- Low Nodularity
- Abnormal Graphite Shapes
- Exploded Graphite
- Graphite Floatation
- Vermicular Graphite
- Flake Graphite
- Chunk Graphite
- Shrinkage Porosity
- Open Shrinkage
- Shrinkage Under Riser
- Interior Shrinkage Porosity
- Slag and Dross Inclusions
- Slag Inclusions
- Dross Inclusions