The THORS Engineering Drawings for Machining course introduces the learner to the unique features of a machining engineering print and offers insight into the finishing processes used to manufacture the specified machined component.Engineering Drawings for Machining introduces the fundamental components and terminology used in reading engineering drawings used for machining processes. Presented in THORS’ highly visual and interactive learning format with many examples, this course assists employees in understanding and interpreting the information communicated on engineering drawings for machining.
- Recognize aspects of engineering drawings that are unique to machining drawings.
- Recognize and understand the importance of symbols that appear on, and are often exclusive to, machining drawings.
- Understand the basic concepts of size and weight information, tolerance, and surface finish as they pertain to machining and the information present on an engineering drawing for machining.
- Recognize and understand commonly machined features, the associated symbols, and how the information is conveyed on an engineering drawing for machining.
- Recognize and understand the components of callouts for surface finish, hole features, and threaded features.
- Understand the importance of the notes section of machining drawings and the different types of notes that may be found in this section.
Course Length: 3 HRS
Table of Contents
Symbols for Hole Features
- Type of Hole
- Hole Callout
- Hole Feature Symbol
- Additional Hole Process Terms
- Hole Location Dimensioning
- Rectangular Coordinate Dimensioning
- Polar Coordinate Dimensioning
- Bolt Circle Diameter
- Threaded Features
- Thread Types: Internal Threads
- Thread Types: External Threads
- Thread Series Callout: Thread Diameter
- Thread Series Callout: Threads Per Inch or Thread Pitch
- Thread Series Callout: Thread Size
- Thread Series Callout: Thread Class
- Thread Series Callout: Hand of Thread
- Information in the Title Block
- Material Information
- Size and Weight Information
- Surface Finish
- Surface Finish Parameters
- Surface Finish Symbols
- Surface Finish Representation
- Material and Treatment Notes
- Material Requirement
- Surface Treatment: Heat Treatment
- Surface Treatment: Plating
- Quality Notes
- Burr Removal Requirements
- Inspection Requirements
- Leak Requirements
- Machining Allowance Requirements
- Machining Practices
- Part Cleanliness Requirements
- Preservation Requirements
- Standards Requirements
- Visual Quality Requirements
Symbols for Surface Features
- Fillet and Corner
- Polygonal Feature
- Keyway and Keyseat
- Knurled Surface