Differential Basics reviews the common components used in a differential, the operating principles of the differential, and the various types of differentials used in a rear and front axle differential. Presented in THORS’s graphically rich and interactive learning format, this course will help employees identify each component of the differential and how it fits into the entire vehicle.
- Identify the rear axle components.
- Define the purpose of each differential component.
- Explain the different driveline configurations.
- Understand the various differential operating principles.
- Summarize the various types of differentials.
- Describe the difference between an axle differential and transmission differential.
This course includes
Pre / Post-Assessment
Course Length: 2.5h
- Automatic Transmission Fundamentals
- Autonomous, Connected, Electric, and Shared (ACES) Vehicle Fundamentals
- Axles: Drive Axles – Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicles
- Bearings: Bearing Fundamentals
- Braking Systems
- Chain: Chain Fundamentals – Industrial
- Electric Vehicle Battery Basics
- Electrical and Electronics
- Gearboxes: Gearbox Basics
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Basics
- Hydraulic Systems: Hydraulic System Fundamentals
- Oil Seals: Oil Seal Fundamentals – Rotary Applications
- Spur and Helical Gear Design Fundamentals
- Transfer Case Principles
- Wheel Basics
Table of Contents
Rear Axle Components
- Companion Flange
- Ring Gear and Hypoid Pinion Set
- Differential Assembly
- Axle Shaft
Types of Differentials
- Open Differential
- Limited-Slip Differential
- Locking Differential
- Torque Vectoring Differential
- Transmission Differential
- Driveline Configurations
- Differential Operating Variables
- Differential Kinematics