Heat Treating Testing and Defects builds on the foundational knowledge provided in Heat Treating Processes and Equipment. Presented in THORS’ easy-to-navigate, highly visual, and interactive learning style, Heat Treating Testing and Defects provides application-based knowledge for some of the most common heat treating testing and quality control procedures. In addition, this course will help learners identify and understand the root causes of common heat treating defects, as well as methods to reduce or eliminate such quality problems.
- Recall the basic terminology associated with modern metallurgy.
- Recognize the various testing procedures that are relevant to heat treating.
- Understand ‘do’s and don’ts’ of heat treating testing procedures.
- Differentiate between the defects common to heat treating procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to eliminate or minimize heat treating defects.
Course Length: 2 HRS
Table of Contents
Effects of Heat Treating
Heat Treating Defects
- Non-Uniform Hardness
- Non-Uniform Microstructure
- Mechanical Properties
- Wear Resistance
- Chemical Composition
- Common Alloying Elements: Manganese (Mn)
- Common Alloying Elements: Aluminum (Al)
- Common Alloying Elements: Silicon (Si)
- Common Alloying Elements: Chromium (Cr)
- Common Alloying Elements: Molybdenum (Mo)
- Common Alloying Elements: Nickel (Ni)
- Common Alloying Elements: Vanadium (V)
- Other Elements: Phosphorus (P)
- Other Elements: Sulfur (S)
Testing for Heat Treating
- Hardness Testing
- Microstructure Testing
- Hardenability Testing
- Micro-Hardness Testing
- Tensile Testing
- Toughness Testing