Transmission Fundamentals: Automatic introduces learners to the basic components, concepts, and general terminology associated with automatic transmissions. The information critical to automatic transmission systems is brought to life in this course using realistic 3D models, helpful animations, and interactive quizzes. The material in this course is beneficial for both those who are experienced and practiced in automatic transmissions and related concepts, and those who are new to the field.
- Understand how the concepts torque, power, and gear ratio apply to transmissions.
- Recall some of the primary components of an automatic transmission.
- Recognize elements of the torque converter.
- Understand the functioning of the planetary gear set.
- Recall the elements associated with clutch plates.
- Relate the common failure modes associated with the automatic transmission.
Course Length: 2 HRS
Table of Contents
Introduction to Automatic Transmissions
- Parts and Terminology
- Transmission Related Concepts
- Gear Types – Spur Gear
- Gear Types – Bevel Gear
- Gear Types – Planetary Gear Set
- Gear Types – Worm Gear
- Gear Types – Helical Gear
- Gear Types – Herringbone Gear
- Transmission Case
- Torque Converter
- Clutch Plates
- Planetary Gear Sets
- Valve Body
Newer Developments and Failure Modes
- Newer Developments
- Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Hybrid Transmissions
- Failure Modes
- Low Fluid
- Damaged Clutch Plates
- Faulty Sensors